Sunday, January 16, 2011

Jan. 15th: 9 Bands At the Blvd.

Last night was an amazing show, 9 bands, 2 stages, awesome music, it was a great night. The night started off with Sex Wolf, a four-piece grungecore band from Boyle Heights. They were loud and halfway through the set the drummer broke his bass drum. That must have sucked because I know that drums aren't cheap. I accidentally missed the Rizlas after talking to some friends. The band that was supposed to be next Richard Ramirez Beatdown cancelled but in their place was the Kill Pills. I'm not sure how to describe their music except for they sound very garagey and friggin' great. Their singer was this short chick with a killer voice.  Next was Sassafras, whom I just reviewed in my last post. A great performance for sure. Sassafras has gone from a four-piece to a two-piece, but still have a great full sound. They played some of my favorite songs including "Been Blown to Shreds" and "Sassafras Song." They preceded to end the show with "Shipwrecked" and when the song was finished the drumset sort of collapsed when Sailor threw his guitar into it. Thanks by the way Sailor for the T-shirt and CD, I appreciate it! Up next was my dad's band Lightnin' Woodcock and the Bad Motherfuckers! He does very dirty songs varying from cunnilingus to consensual rape. Super funny I always find myself laughing really hard when I go to his shows. Another great part of the performance was that the bass player Will Lefevre was singing "In the Butt" to me as a joke when he realized after the fact that the whole show was being recorded for a documentary and their probably was footage of him singing "In the Butt" to a thirteen year old dude. The next band was the Dharma Bums fronted by Joe who put this whole show and documentary together. The Dharma are a five-piece band (Three guitar players, a bass player and a drummer) who play to me seems like bluesy-punk rock with other elements mixed in. They played a pretty long set because of audience members yelling "One More!" and stuff like that. It was a really good set considering that they have a new drummer. Sadly they have to change their name to something because there is another band with the name Dharma Bums. Then came on the Mormons, who, if you didn't guess, dress like Mormons with suits, ties and bicycle helmets. I haven't seen them in a club ever, but I have seen the Mormons Mobile Unit outside of the Fuck Yeah Fest where they have mini-amps on their belts and the drummer has this awesome portable drum set that he hooks on to his body. They play really awesome punk rock music and the singer is always laying on the floor or dancing with someone. Towards the end of the set some of the audience members, including me, picked him up towards the camera that was filming all of this. They played a great set and I really want to get their new EP. I missed Manhattan Murder Mystery, but I saw Kamikaze a great three-piece. They were so loud and cool. The guitar player and bass player were both singers trading the vocals off between songs. Also the drummer was an awesome chick who made the coolest faces while drumming. I stayed after for a bit and then went home after band practice and then a six-hour show and passed out!

2 comments:

  1. It was a great night of music!Really liked the venue.Good to see you as always.---Bill Woodcock(the other one)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey my name's yolanda...and i wanted to get a hold of a demo from lightnin'...my friend's producing a web series and wants local bands to be in it. if u could let me know via e-mail...that would be great.

    grbgrulz@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete