Sunday, December 19, 2010

Dec. 4th: Zappa Plays Zappa At the Music Box

On December 4th, as an early Christmas present, I went and saw Zappa Plays Zappa do Apostrophe (‘) live! After a couple of minutes of anticipation, they came on and started with “Gumbo Variations” from the Hot Rats album. This started the many times I had crapped my pants at this show! They then played “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow” which was the fist song that I had ever heard by Zappa. This then started the album’s fusion of four songs, “Don’t Eat the Yellow Snow,” “Nanook Rubs It,” “St. Alfonzo’s Pancake Breakfast,” and “Father O’Blivion.” They then did amazing jobs on “Cosmik Debris,” where good ol’ Frank sang the song through a video of one of his live performances with ZPZ playing in the background, “Excentrifungal Forz,” and “Apostrophe.” I was so amazed when George Duke, an old player form Zappa’s band, went on and played “Uncle Rhemus,” it was just so awesome!. They then did a lot of crazy versions of “Eat That Question,” “I Promise Not to Come in Your Mouth,” Keep it Greasy,” “Jones Crusher,” and a super cool version of “Baby Snakes.” I laughed so hard when they played “Titties and Beer,” and “Valley Girl.” They then proceeded to end the show with another pants-shitting song “Muffin Man.” I walked out of that two-and-a-half hour set very satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment