Tuesday, April 12, 2011

April 8th Narwhal Party/Halloween Swim Team

 
My Photos by
Last Friday, I went to yet another gig at the Smell (I swear it is my home away from home, and counting that I live close by doesn't help) This time to see Narwhal Party and whatever band I could catch before. I got there missing two bands. The band onstage almost starts immediately after I get there. At the start it is two guys on synths, a bass player who eventually goes to a third synth, and from what I've heard, a recently-added drummer. The dudes have great pop hooks with a very unique music that sets a mood and almost a wall of sound. They also got me with their onstage presence, they had something that most synth bands don't, some movement during songs. I really like this band and hope to see them again soon. Then after a little delay for Narwhal Party and a nightmare-come-true the bass players strap comes off and the bass hits the floor, NP goes on. They self described themselves as sounding like cats in a meat grinder and I guess its true if the cat has some sort of good pitch. These guys use A LOT of pedals which accent the band perfectly. They really have a good sound and there is a definite link between Matt Shultz of Cage the Elephant and Kyle Souza of Narwhal Party. They must have similar influences in singing or they just sound like one another, either way it is a singing style that I really love. They played a great set, even if they kept insisting they messed up a lot, I sincerely didn't notice nor would I care. This is a great band and you should get whatever merchandise you can, especially recordings, what I have heard off of their myspace page is great and hopefully I can get some more!

P.S. Sorry I could not get a picture of HST but watch their video for "Pitch Black" one of my favorites: http://vimeo.com/14298911
P.P.S. I cannot go another blog without saying a very big THANKS! to Bob Cantu for putting me in his zine Baby Jeepers I really appreciate it and hopefully I will keep writing for him!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you'd never seen Halloween Swim Team before, you will definitely see them again. They play more than Narwhal Party. I wish Narwhal Party played more. (Best band in LA next to Ariel Pink's Haunted Grafitti)

    ReplyDelete