Monday, July 18, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: Fleet Foxes: Helplessness Blues

The sophomore release of this Seattle-based folk band Fleet Foxes is a superb record. The layered vocals over the 6 piece band is nice to listen to, especially at night. It is a calm record, one that I think a listener could go to sleep to. Of course I mean this in respect. The record is peaceful and pretty uplifting. My favorite thing about this record is the instrumentation (Most of the players taking on at least two instruments) and the way they played each instrument not exactly like the other as some bands will do. Each guitar part was different and so was the bass. The vocals are also less hollow then their earlier releases. They are now more rich I think, with a sweeter tone than they usually have. My favorite tracks off of the album would have to be, "Bedouin Dress," "Battery Kinzie," and "Helplessness Blues." The record seems to go well with summer evenings in my opinion. This album is great and if you're looking for the new folk record this is it!

No comments:

Post a Comment