Sunday, July 24, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: Portugal. The Man: In The Mountain In The Cloud

The seventh record by Portugal. The Man has a new feel and I like it! I've loved this band since 2009 and I have to say that they have changed on almost every record since then. This is their major label debut (they got signed to Atlantic Records in 2010) and I think this is their most accessible album. This, I mean in a respectful manor, as I feel that P.TM should be very successful and  hopefully this will be at least a precursor to them being a really popular band and hopefully radio play. There were a few things that I found interesting about the album, like the normal cd is just a digipack and just opens up. Of course the deluxe edition has more flash, but I feel that when they were independent they were putting out higher quality and cooler packaging. Besides that this is overall a really good album. The record is less psychedelic than their past few releases but still has the Portugal. The Man feel and I'm glad they didn't make a drastic change when they signed with Atlantic. There was more instrumentation on this record which was really cool. My favorite tracks are "So American," "Got It All (This Can't Be Living Now)," and "Sleep Forever." I really do have to note "Sleep Forever," because this is such an amazing song! I always feel overwhelmed listening to it as it builds throughout the song. I really like this album a lot, so go and get it at your local record stores or over the internet!

1 comment: