Thursday, September 8, 2011

ALBUM REVIEW: Mikal Cronin: Self Title

During Ty Segall's set, Ty announced that his bass player, Mikal Cronin, has a solo album coming out in a couple of weeks. I talked to Mikal through the gate and thanks to his kindness I got a copy! The next day I woke up and put on the album. This record really blew me away! Mikal Cronin seems to mix 60's pop with garage and it seems like there's a little folk influence in there. I really love how the tracks will go from a nice acoustic guitar to fuzzy electric guitars playing songs that you can sing (or hum) along to. One thing that really suprised me was the vocals. The singing added with the harmonies just makes the songs even better! My favorite tracks would have to be "Apathy" "Gone" (Which I think is my favorite song, I love the way the other instruments come in and the what I think is synth during in the chorus is just really uplifting) and "The Way Things Go" This track is the last one on the record and it ends in a kind've frenzie after really poppy melodie, piano, and fuzzed out guitars. This record is one of the best I've heard this year and I've listened to it at least 7 times in less than a week. For all you Los Angeles residents go to his show on September 14th in downtown for the record release show. I know I'm going to be there!

Purchase the record on September 20th at: www.troubleinmindrecs.com
Go see the show: The Smell
247 S. Main Street
Los Angeles, CA 90012

No comments:

Post a Comment